The regular meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m.
Board Secretary Elizabeth Scott read to the board the thank you note received from a graduated senior who received a scholarship for the upcoming school year.
The board recognized the efforts of an elementary student who secured a grant to make bracelets and bookmarks for senior citizens.
The June agenda and the May 2023 meeting minutes and treasurer’s report were approved, with a correction to the year typo on the treasurer’s report.
Public comment: None
The July organizational board meeting will be held on July 10, 2023 at 6:00 p.m.
The annual MHSAA Membership Resolution, which allows our district to participate in post-season MHSAA-sponsored sports tournaments, was approved.
The board approved the Music Boosters officers for the 2023-24 school year:
Tara DeKamp, President
Jamie Bodell, Vice President
Jennifer Ramsey, Secretary
Danielle Smilowski, Treasurer
The 98b Goal Progress Report showing growth and achievement of students this school year was approved and posted under the transparency reporting on the district’s website, as required.
The board approved an elementary summer school field trip to the Imagination Station in Toledo, Ohio.
A new curriculum for 4th and 5th grade English/Language Arts was approved. This curriculum will be paid for with monies from the 98c grant.
Supt. Denney updated the board on the progress made toward the board goals:
Goal #1A – Reviews of STAR data and other assessments to determine learning gaps
Goal #1B – Reviews of STAR data and other assessments to determine learning gaps; MICIP process to adjust improvement plans and conduct progress monitoring
Goal #1C – JCEC and JAC programming; Dual enrollment expansion; HS master schedule creation based on student requests as much as possible
Goal #1D – Met with marketing company to build a comprehensive marketing plan; working with local colleges to build connections for student teachers
Goal #1E – Meeting with Athletic Boosters and Music Boosters to explore options; met with Lions Club to discuss district and community initiatives; working with Historical Society to enable continued partnerships
Goal #1F – High school student group attended drug summit; Arrive Alive vehicle simulator; wellness initiatives in all buildings
Goal 2A – Moving forward with parking lot and track repairs; updating Central Office to increase safety and security along with productivity
Goal #2B – Ongoing process to review and update technology plan; no significant purchases needed; network infrastructure upgrades approved last year will take place this summer
Goal #2C – Working with JCISD to secure a wheelchair lift bus
The 2023 Tax Rate Request was approved by the board. This is the millage request report that goes to the county and township treasurers and clerks annually.
The 2022-23 amended budget was reviewed at the budget hearing prior to the regular meeting. The amended budget was presented at the regular meeting and approved by the board.
The 2023-24 preliminary budget was reviewed at the budget hearing prior to the regular meeting. The preliminary budget was presented at the regular meeting and approved by the board.
The board adopted a Resolution Authorizing Issuance of Notes in Anticipation of the State School Aid Note for the 2023-24 school year.
A salary increase for administration, supervisory, and central office staff was approved, to be in line with the HHEA and HHESPA contracts.
The board accepted the resignation of Krista Scharpenberg with deep regret.
Superintendent Denney reported to the board members on the following:
- Thank you to administration, teachers, and support staff for another great year.
- Girls softball won the district tournament, but was beat by Grass Lake in the regional. Girls also won the district in volleyball and basketball this year.
- Graham Gumper, Kaytie Warren, Rogan Melling, Owen Brown, Austin Brown, and Zach Hassenzahl won all-state honors in track.
- We will miss Marlene Griffis and Krista Scharpenberg and wish them the best.
The board members commented on the following:
- The graduation ceremony was great; Mr. Waltz gave an empowering speech; would like to see more teacher support.
- The academic success in middle school at the awards ceremony was impressive.
- The 8th grade dance went well and the students were polite and well-mannered.
- Tracy Stierle’s ROX program is appreciated.
- There has been unbelievable support from the school and community for Jason Swihart.
- The board will try to address at meetings what has been discussed on certain issues and be more transparent.
- Our staff is some of the hardest working in the county.
- Thank you to Supt. Denney for doing a strong job.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:15 p.m.