The regular meeting was held starting at 6:00 p.m.
The High School Student Council reported that they are starting the process this week for students to be in Student Council next year; elections will be held if needed. They are also discussing plans for summer activities and Homecoming in the fall.
Winter athletes and poetry contest winners were recognized.
The April 2023 meeting minutes and treasurer’s report and the May agenda were approved with no changes.
There was no public comment from attendees.
Mrs. Nancy Peters-Lewis, from the College and Career Access Center, presented the board with an update on the organization’s services for our district. They provide college-bound seniors help with access to college planning, such as college applications, FAFSA funding, scholarship applications, and assistance with final college decisions. The CACC also provides non-college-bound seniors with military options, career assessments, interviewing skills, job shadowing, and employment exploration.
On recommendation of the Facilities Committee, the board approved a plan to repair parking lots at all three buildings and to repair the athletic track. Work should begin in June and be finished before school starts in August.
The school year calendar for 2023-24 was approved. Except for a change in the day of middle/high school conferences, the calendar will mirror this year’s calendar.
The board approved the Resolution of Approval for the JCISD Preliminary 2024 Fiscal Year Budget.
- Teacher appreciation week is celebrated this week. Thank you to all staff for the great job they do; they are appreciated year round.
- Marlene Griffis, middle school secretary, is retiring, and her last day with the district will be June 23rd.
The board members commented on the following:
- The Facilities Committee had a good meeting with Supt. Denney regarding the work on the parking lots and track.
- The board would like to have a review on the agenda next month of who is on each board committee and what their goals are or what they would like to focus on for the future.
- Mrs. Sears has enjoyed volunteering at the elementary this past month.
- Thank you to the students who received awards tonight for attending.
- Hillside United Methodist Church recently held their 52nd breakfast for graduating seniors and Baccalaureate will be held on May 21st.
- Mrs. Flick and Mr. Evans attended the JCSBA breakfast and found the activities and collaborations going on in other districts to be interesting.
- The board needs to discuss when to put the operating millage on the ballot again, and communicate to the public sooner so they understand the ballot language. The board needs to be listening to the community’s concerns be and approachable.
- Thank you to our amazing staff.
- Thank you to Mrs. Bergstrom for filling in for Supt. Denney tonight.
The regular meeting was adjourned at 7:10 p.m.