The regular/organizational meeting was held starting at 6:00 p.m.
The board recognized the achievements of spring sports athletes.
Organizational items, such as approving the legal name of the school district, bank resolutions, and scheduling of school board meetings for the next year were completed. The board meeting for January 2024 and June 2024 will be changed to the third Monday of the month, January 15th and June 17th, instead of the second Monday.
The June 2023 meeting minutes and treasurer’s report were approved with no changes.
There were no public comments.
Mr. Tim Evans was appointed the special liaison to the Michigan Association of School Boards, with Mrs. Kristin Flick appointed as the alternate.
Mr. Tim Evans was appointed as delegate to the Jackson County School Board Association, and Mr. Chris Blackledge was also appointed as the alternate.
Mrs. Elizabeth Scott was appointed the school board representative on the Hanover-Horton Education Foundation Committee.
Ms. Gail Proctor was appointed the school board representative on the Lucile McGee Scholarship Committee.
Mr. Leon Densmore was appointed as the school board representative on the Ruth Creps Scholarship Committee.
The board approved a list of recommended workshops and in-service training sessions throughout the year for board members.
The board approved the length of school term for the 2023-24 school year, as required by the school code. School districts must provide 180 days and a minimum of 1098 hours of pupil instruction, which is the same as the last several years.
In order to meet the requirement for pupil accounting auditing, the board approved a list of courses offered by the district.
The updates in the student handbooks for the elementary, middle school, high school, and athletics for 2023-24 were approved.
The board approved an Amending Resolution for the amount of the 2023 State Aid Note.
The resignations of elementary teachers Megan Thurston and Sarah Block were accepted with deep regret.
Superintendent Denney reported to the board members on the following:
- We have some good applicants for the elementary teaching positions that are open, and administration will be holding interviews soon.
- There are no candidates for the middle school math position yet.
- We will be given a demonstration of the “Turf Tank,” which is a robotic GPS-controlled athletic field painter.
The board members commented on the following:
- The board is enjoying seeing the improvements going on with the parking lots and are waiting for the final coat to be applied.
- Thank you to the summer school staff; the board has heard positive comments.
- The work on the track has begun and everyone is excited about having a new track.
- The facilities as a whole are looking good.
- The board is looking forward to the board workshop scheduled on June 24th.
The regular meeting was adjourned at 7:30 p.m.