July is an organizational meeting month. The board members approved the calendar, time and place of board meetings for the upcoming year; board reviewed and approved the various banking resolutions, our legal counsel and which media contact the district will use.
The Board and Superintendent Denney recognized our Academic All-Conference Recipients, Academic All State Individuals and Academic All State Team members for their accomplishments; The Meemic Foundation Art Contest recipient, and our National Qualifier for the National Health Occupations Student Association (HOSA) sponsored through the Career Center. Also this evening Coach John Fenstermaker was recognized for his achievement in being honored as the Softball District Coach of the Year.
The Board has approved the child care leave request of Carey Baumgardner for the 2016-2017 school year.
Kim Travis has resigned as our high school math teacher and athletic director. Perry Deliyanne was introduced as our new athletic director.
The Board approved the following board representation of various organizations:
Michigan Association of School Boards Liaison Member – Christine Vincent
Jackson County School Boards Association Delegate – Chris Blackledge
Hanover-Horton Education Foundation Committee Member – Michele Rogotzke
McGee Scholarship Committee – Gary Schuette
Ruth Crepp Scholarship Committee – Leon Densmore
The board approved various events for the board member’s to attend for their perspective positions providing the requests come within the budgeted appropriations.
Annually the board needs to approve a resolution for the length of our school term. This year the board resolved to meet the state required hours of instruction within 180 days. Each district must also provide a minimum of 1098 hours of pupil instruction for the 2016-2017 school year. Districts will not be able to count professional development time towards instruction time.
The bread bid was awarded to Aunt Millies and the milk bid was awarded to Prairie Farms for the 2016-2017 school year.
The board has approved the recommended increase in meal prices for the 2016-2017 school year. The breakfast and lunch prices have increased by $0.05 for K-12 students. Milk prices will remain the same as last year.
Superintendent Denney informed the Board, the interview committee for our Preschool provider has selected to partner with Early Impressions Preschool and Childcare Center. Their plans are to offer two GSRP classrooms, a 3 & 4 year old tuition program, and take over our Kid’s Club program.
All of the handbooks for the 2016-2017 school year were approved. Names, dates, times, lunch prices, new bus discipline policy and the addition of eCigarettes added to possession of and use of tobacco were updated in all of the handbooks. The high school also updated the Attendance Incentive and how Incompletes are to be processed and recorded.
Superintendent Denney informed the Board with the following:
• Playground installation will take place this coming weekend. Many businesses and individuals are contributing product, time and money to help with this project. We will have tent canopies and plenty of water available.
• Life of an Athlete meetings will be held this week
• Enrollment seems to be holding at the present time
• Staffing is in place
• Lloyd Hilger was called back from layoff and will be introducing STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math) in the elementary as one of their electives
• Custodians are making way. The gyms are done, curbs sealed, concession stand in process, playground equipment being moved to elementary
• Reminder the deadline for Board Member candidates to register with the County is next Tuesday
• Our Auditors are currently conducting their audit.