The regular meeting was held starting at 6:00 p.m.
The September 2023 meeting minutes and treasurer’s report were approved with no changes.
Mr. Dave Messer presented an overview to the board of the equipment that the Athletic Boosters would like to purchase for the weight room. The boosters have been collaborating with coaches, teachers, and the athletic trainer as to the equipment needed, so that everyone is on the same page.
Our district’s principals and assistant principals, Mr. Cottrell, Mr. Waltz, Mrs. Bergstrom, Mr. Ayers, and Mrs. Duffrin, were recognized in honor of Michigan Principals Month.
Sophie Schuette, Student Council President, updated the board on student council activities for Homecoming. Student council members are in the process of writing thank you notes to volunteers who helped with Homecoming. Decorations will be taken down this week. Planning for Snowfest has begun.
Mrs. Christine Kratzer, Auditor from Willis and Jurasek, P.C., presented the Audit Report to the board for the year ended June 30, 2023.
The board approved the annual Summer Tax Resolution, which allows the school district to collect our portion of tax revenues collected by the townships in our school district.
A discussion was held by the board regarding an upcoming operating millage election. Decisions must be made regarding when the election will be held. Also discussed were three different options for ballot language that were submitted by the district’s attorney. This discussion was tabled until the next meeting after more information is gathered.
The board also discussed the timing of the superintendent search, which will take place after January. President Blackledge has been contacting different organizations to get some information on the process. This will be an ongoing agenda item in the coming months.
The annual Superintendent’s evaluation will be scheduled for November 13th, and will take place in a closed session after the regular board meeting that evening. A public reading of the evaluation will take place after the closed session ends.
Administrative office personnel contracts were approved for the position of Administrative Assistant and Assistant Bookkeeper. These positions were not previously covered under any contract.
The resignation of Mrs. Kristine Herendeen, middle/high school teacher, was accepted by the board with deep regret.
Superintendent Denney reported to the board members on the following:
- Thank you to everyone who made Homecoming a success. The football field looked amazing.
- Thank you to Willbee Transit Mix and Mr. Rich Dekker for the landscaping stone at the elementary building. This project was spearheaded by Mr. Ayers and Mrs. Duffrin.
- Thank you to our building principals for everything they do.
The board members commented on the following:
- The board is eager for the strategic planning process. Thank you to everyone here who will be participating in the community session this evening. We have received over 270 responses to the survey.
- Thank you to the building principals.
- The board appreciates the planning of the purchase of weight room equipment by the Athletic Boosters and the fact that the boosters are working together with other staff.
The regular meeting was adjourned at 7:00 p.m.