The regular meeting was held starting at 6:00 p.m.
The October 2023 meeting minutes and treasurer’s report were approved with no changes.
Sophie Schuette, Student Council President, updated the board on student council activities for Homecoming.
The Student Council has completed the process of writing thank you notes to volunteers who helped with Homecoming. They are planning for SnowFest, including choosing hallway decorating themes and the dance after the basketball game, which is on Friday, February 2, 2024.
The board passed a Resolution to have a special election on presidential primary day, February 27, 2024, to take the consideration of the operating millage back to the community for a vote. There will be two options on the ballot; one for a renewal of the district’s current millage, and the other for an additional 2 mills, which would levy the full 18 mills that would restore the district back to being fully funded.
The board approved a draft of a plan for a funding grant known as the 23g Plan, officially the MI Kids Back-on-Track program. This is a plan to help address learning loss.
The retirement of Robin Ellison, effective January 12, 2024, was accepted by the board, with deep regret.
Superintendent Denney reported to the board members on the following:
- Thank you and best wishes to Robin Ellison, who will be retiring in January.
- The Veteran’s Day celebration at the elementary school went very well. Thank you to Joe Ayers and Melissa Duffrin for heading it up.
- The fall sports seasons are over with; congratulations to all the teams. Athletic Director Jeff Waltz did a phenomenal job overseeing his first fall season.
The board members commented on the following:
- Some board members attended the MASB Annual Conference, and found it to be inspiring and engaging. They appreciated the opportunity to attend are looking forward to attending next year’s event.
- The board wishes the band and choir well on their upcoming trip to Disney. The concert on Halloween was very nice.
- Contract negotiations will be coming up soon.
- The board needs to be concerned with several staff members leaving in the next few years and supporting new staff.
- Fall sports teams had a good showing.
The board went into closed session for the annual Superintendent evaluation and contract negotiation update, and reconvened the regular meeting at 8:25 p.m. to accept the Superintendent evaluation score of Highly Effective.
The regular meeting was adjourned at 8:30 p.m.