The regular/organizational meeting was held starting at 6:00 p.m.
Organizational items, such as approving the legal name of the school district, bank resolutions, and scheduling of school board meetings for the next year were completed. The board meeting for January 2023 will be changed to the third Monday, January 16th, instead of the second Monday, due to January 9th being the day school resumes from Christmas break.
The June 2022 meeting minutes and treasurer’s report were approved with no changes.
There were no public comments.
Mr. Tim Evans was appointed the special liaison to the Michigan Association of School Boards, with Mrs. Kristin Flick appointed as the alternate.
Mr. Tim Evans was appointed as delegate to the Jackson County School Board Association, and Mr. Chris Blackledge was also appointed as the alternate.
Mrs. Diane Anderson was appointed the school board representative on the Hanover-Horton Education Foundation Committee.
Ms. Gail Proctor was appointed the school board representative on the Lucile McGee Scholarship Committee.
Mr. Leon Densmore was appointed as the school board representative on the Ruth Creps Scholarship Committee.
The board approved a list of recommended workshops and in-service training sessions throughout the year for board members.
The board approved the length of school term for the 2022-23 school year, as required by the school code. School districts must provide 180 days and a minimum of 1098 hours of pupil instruction, which is the same as the last several years.
The updates in the student handbooks for the elementary, middle school, and high school for 2022-23 were approved.
In order to meet the requirement for pupil accounting auditing, the board approved a list of courses offered by the district.
The board approved the purchase of new ovens for the elementary and high school kitchens.
Superintendent Denney reported to the board members on the following:
- Electrical upgrades at the middle school are progressing, and may be completed by July 12th.
- Landscaping in front of the high school will be completed soon.
- DE Excavating is working on adding to the bed of the retention pond at the middle/high school.
- Bids came in very high on the excavating and prep work on the planned parking lot upgrades, so it may be prudent to hold off until pricing comes down.
- Custodians are working very hard on the summer building cleaning.
- Terms for three members of the board are expiring this year. Paperwork for interested candidates are due to the county by July 26th.
The board members commented on the following:
- The MASB training meeting will be held at Jackson College on Jan. 7th, 2023.
- Folks Rd. paving will be done this year, as well as the next two years by Hanover Township.
- The Jackson District Library will be holding a Story Walk at Grass Lake, Dahlem Center, and Hanover-Horton.
- Supt. Denney does a good job on the advertising (commercials) for the district.
- The painting/wall murals at the elementary building make it look fun and welcoming.
- The Cascades Conference is expanding in the 2023-24 school year.
- We need to look into who would sign checks for the district if the superintendent was incapacitated.
The regular meeting was adjourned at 7:05 p.m.