The regular meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m.
Board Secretary Joe Childs read to the board the thank you notes received from students/former students who had received scholarships for the upcoming school year.
The board recognized the winter athletes who received academic and state honors, as well as Mrs. Chris Burger, Mr. Dennis Hoaglin, and Mr. Joe Childs for their years of service to the district. Board Vice President, Kristin Flick received recognition from the Michigan Association of School Boards for the classes she has taken in regard to serving the school board.
The June board meeting agenda was adjusted so that Item C (Personnel) under Old/New Business will be moved up after Public Comment. The May board meeting minutes and treasurer’s report were approved with no changes.
Public comment: Mrs. Jennifer Wykes, PTA Co-President, thanked the elementary staff for all their help this past school year, as the PTA board consisted of all new officers.
The board approved the hiring of the following teachers for the 2022-23 school year:
Levi Alleger – 2nd Grade
Dino Deliyanne – HS Special Education/At-Risk
Kristine Herendeen – HS/MS Business/Computers/Sr. Trans./At-Risk
Ethan Showler – 5th Grade
Shauna Smith – 1st Grade
William Stone – 8th Grade English/Language Arts
The July organizational board meeting will be held on July 11, 2022 at 6:00 p.m.
The annual MHSAA Membership Resolution, which allows our district to participate in post-season MHSAA-sponsored sports tournaments, was approved.
The board approved the Music Boosters officers for the 2022-23 school year:
Kelly McLain, President
Jamie Bodell, Vice President
Jennifer Ramsey, Secretary
Tara DeKamp, Treasurer
The second reading of NEOLA Vol. 36, No.2 – February 2022 policy updates was approved.
The 98b Goal Progress Report showing growth and achievement of students this school year was approved and posted under the transparency reporting on the district’s website, as required.
Superintendent Denney presented the following actions taken in regard to Board Goal #1:
- Added support for At-Risk, Special Education, and Title 1, with more at the secondary level for next year. Data review will target areas of need.
- Utilization of the School Improvement process. District team meeting next week to update plans.
- Use of John George grants to purchase new items to pilot academic and extra-curricular opportunities, with increased after-school opportunities this year.
- All teaching vacancies at this time have been filled with high quality candidates.
- More TV advertising than past years.
- Parent/community involvement through active booster groups and working with local companies on multiple projects.
- Increased mental health support for students throughout the last two years and will continue moving forward.
The following actions have been taken in regard to Board Goal #2:
- Regular reviews of district facilities and maintenance projects. Current costs for parking lot repairs and track resurfacing are prohibitive. We still hope to expand the elementary parking lot this summer.
- Chromebooks have recently been purchased.
- Consumers Energy continues to donate used equipment, and multiple discussions have taken place regarding potential partnerships with other resources.
The 2022 Tax Rate Request was approved by the board. This is the millage request report that goes to the county and township treasurers and clerks annually.
The 2021-22 amended budget was reviewed at the budget hearing prior to the regular meeting. The amended budget was presented at the regular meeting and approved by the board.
The 2022-23 preliminary budget was reviewed at the budget hearing prior to the regular meeting. The preliminary budget was presented at the regular meeting and approved by the board.
The board adopted a Resolution Authorizing Issuance of Notes in Anticipation of the State School Aid Note for the 2022-23 school year.
The board approved the purchase of a 2022 Ford F-250 plow truck.
Superintendent Denney reported to the board members on the following:
- We received sad news of the death of Yvonne Causie, long time H-H elementary secretary, who was employed by the district from 1970 to 2001.
- Thank you to all school staff for making this another great year. It was so nice to bring back events such as the March is Reading month assembly, pep assemblies, prom, and graduation at the Potter Center.
- The executive council of the Cascades Conference has voted to add Columbia Central and Leslie to the conference. Jonesville has been invited to join the conference, and the council is looking for at least one more school to make 12 (possibly 14) teams in the conference.
- We are excited to have new staff on board for next school year.
- Enjoy your summer!
The board members commented on the following:
- Thank you and appreciation to staff for another terrific year. The dedication of our staff is awesome.
- Graduation was super. The board considers handing out diplomas to be one of the best parts of serving on the board and likes the special touches in the ceremony.
- The recognition of winter athletes and staff/community members was appreciated.
- It’s nice to see 90 elementary students taking advantage of summer school.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:03 p.m.