A special meeting was held at 6:00 p.m. for the budget hearing for the 2019-20 school year.
The regular meeting was held starting at 6:30 p.m.
Correspondence included a thank you note from a senior who received the Ruth Creps Scholarship.
The board reviewed the bus bids received from Hoekstra Transportation, Holland Bus Company, and Midwest Transit. On the recommendation of the Transportation Supervisor, the board approved the purchase of three new gas engine buses, to be purchased from Holland Bus Company. The money will come from the 2019 bond that was passed in May, and we should have the buses before the new school year starts in August.
The date for the July organizational board meeting will be July 22nd at 6:30 p.m. in the Library Media Center.
The board approved the 2019-20 MHSAA Membership Resolution. Annual approval is required to maintain membership in the MHSAA, in order to be able to compete in post-season tournaments for both middle school and high school sports.
A small revision to page 16 of the athletic handbook was approved regarding the Career Athlete award. Item #4, “Has no athletic code violations” was added to the list of qualifications for the award.
The Music Boosters officers for 2019-20 were approved. The officers are: President – Kelly McLain; Vice President – Shellie Felde; Secretary – Amie Schittenhelm; Treasurer – Jamie Potts.
The hiring of Linzey Yeaster for a fifth grade teaching position was approved. Linzey is a Hanover-Horton grad who taught Kindergarten here for one year as a temporary position during the 2014-15. We are glad to welcome her back!
The board adopted the resolution authorizing the issuance and delegating the sale of the 2019 School Building and Site Bonds.
The 2019 Tax Rate Request was approved by the board. This is the millage request report that goes to the county and township treasurers and clerks annually.
The 2018-19 amended budget was reviewed at the budget hearing prior to the regular meeting. The amended budget was presented at the regular meeting and approved by the board.
The 2019-20 preliminary budget was reviewed at the budget hearing prior to the regular meeting. The preliminary budget was presented at the regular meeting and approved by the board.
The board adopted a Resolution Authorizing Issuance of Notes in Anticipation of the State School Aid Note for the 2019-20 school year.
Superintendent Denney reported to the board members on the following:
- The district was saddened to hear of the passing of Larry Dailey. Larry was a long time supporter and sports statistician for the district, and his passing will be a huge loss. A memorial service will be held this week.
- Thank you to the custodial/maintenance staff for their hard work.
- A shout out to Melissa Duffrin for organizing the first family movie night. Unfortunately, because of the weather, plans had to be made to move this event inside, rather than on the football field.
- Facility upgrades for this summer will include the continuation of the LED lighting project throughout all buildings.
- If the state’s school aid budget supports it, Superintendent Denney will hire an elementary teacher for a 1st/2nd grade split classroom.
- The school year has quickly come to an end, and it was another great year to be a Comet!
The board members commented on the following:
- Board members were sorry to hear of the death of Larry Dailey.
- The board is happy to be able to hire Linzey Yeaster back as an elementary teacher.
- Board members are in support of adding a 1st/2nd grade split classroom teacher in the elementary.
- Graduation went very well and the board members are honored to be a part of it.
Meeting was adjourned at 7:10 p.m.