The regular meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m.
The meeting agenda, March board meeting minutes, and treasurer’s report were approved with no changes.
Public comment: Pastor Chris Murphy thanked the board for letting Unity Horton use the district facilities at certain events throughout the year.
Mr. Scott Marvin informed the board that there are display panels of student artwork in the high school, middle school, and library. They will be on display in collaboration with the high school band/choir concerts on May 12 and the middle school concert on May 19.
The 2022-23 school year calendar recommended by the calendar committee was approved. The calendar coincides with the 2021-22 school year calendar, except fall conferences were pushed back a week.
The board approved the tenure/probationary recommendations for the 2022-23 school year for nine current teachers.
The hiring of Tessa Frank for the middle school Math position and Abigail Toyer for the elementary fifth grade position was approved.
The board approved updates to the maintenance and transportation supervisor contracts as recommended by the Personnel Committee.
The board approved contract extensions for the superintendent to 2026 and for other administrators to 2024.
The board approved moving the pay increases for non-union employees to be effective July 1, 2022 so that they will be in line with the district’s two bargaining unit contracts.
Superintendent Denney reported to the board members on the following:
- Spring sports are underway.
- The first day of Kindergarten Round-Up started today with over 60 kindergarteners registered so far.
- The March is Reading Month activities were a great success, with students exceeding their reading goal and getting to see Mr. Ayers get slimed!
- The elementary Lion King presentation is coming up this month.
- The Jazz Bash is taking place this Saturday after a two-year hiatus due to Covid.
- The Chris Brian Memorial Baseball/Softball tournament will be this weekend.
- Prom is at the Jackson County Tower Building on May 14th.
- Graduation will be on May 27th at the Potter Center.
- The testing window is taking place this week.
- We have three external teaching positions at the elementary and one at the middle school to fill and hope to have the hiring process started soon. We had some good contacts from the virtual job fair last month.
The board members commented on the following:
- Three board members will be up for re-election this fall. Interested candidates will be able to find election information on the district website soon.
- It was good to see students here again to receive athletic/academic recognition certificates.
- The board is happy to see the cooperative relationship with community groups.
- The H-H Youth Softball/Baseball League had their clean-up day and the fields look nice.
- A board member was pleased to be able to work in the elementary for Kindergarten Round-Up and meet the new fifth grade teacher.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:40 p.m.