Superintendent Denney and the Board of Education were happy to honor the Junior Medal of Honor, Army JROTC Raider Competition, JACC Cosmetology Hair Show, Jackson County Art Fair first place, Young Poets Contest, and Detroit Tigers/Jackie Robinson Contest winners.
Miss Kuhrt, National Junior Honor Society advisor, along with a middle school member, presented the board with an update on the NJHS’s activities for this school year.
Student Council representative, Mitchell Schuette, reported that the Student Council is holding elections for next year’s officers. The board thanks Mitchell for attending meetings this year to keep them informed of Student Council activities.
During the public comment portion of the meeting, several elementary teachers addressed their desire for smaller class sizes and more assistance from the ISD for special education.
The board approved a resolution for the disapproval of the Jackson County Intermediate School District 2019 FY proposed budget.
The contract with the Jackson County Sheriff’s Department to continue to provide a liaison officer to our district for one day per week next school year was approved by the board.
Meal price recommendations for school breakfast and lunch for the next school year were approved. Breakfast prices will be increased $.05 per meal and lunch prices will be increased $.10 per meal; milk prices will remain the same.
The board approved the district school year calendar for 2018-19.
The board approved the resignation of two teachers who accepted the Voluntary Severance Plan.
Superintendent Denney reported to the board members on the following:
- Baccalaureate for the graduating class of 2018 will be Sunday, May 20th. Senior Honors Night is Thursday, May 24th, and graduation is Friday, May 25th.
- Our baseball team is currently tied for the conference lead.
- The boys’ golf team is currently ranked 4th or 5th in the state, depending on which ranking you look at.
- Seniors’ last day was Tuesday, May15th.
- This year’s prom at Stage Coach Stop was a big success.
The board members commented on the following:
- The board appreciated the public comments made during the meeting.
- They were happy to take a stand on the disapproval of the JCISD proposed budget for 2018-19.
- The board appreciates the recognition of the many students who win awards.
- Congratulations to Melissa Duffrin, who was voted one of Jackson Magazine’s Top Ten Teachers.
Meeting was adjourned at 7:40 p.m.