The regular meeting was held starting at 5:30 p.m.
The meeting agenda, September meeting minutes, and treasurer’s report were approved with no changes.
Bryce Blackledge, Student Council representative to the school board, updated the board on the latest Student Council activities.
Superintendent Denney recognized Isaac Cottrell, Lauren Kyser, Denise Bergstrom, and Joe Ayers for National Principals Month.
During the Public Comment portion of the meeting, an elementary teacher asked the board about teachers who are out due to Covid and how sick time would be handled. This will be part of upcoming contract negotiations.
The board approved 7th, 9th, and 11th grade students taking the full MiPHY Survey this year, upon request of the district’s Wellness Committee. In the past, a shorter survey was taken, but the full survey will better gauge the emotional and social well-being of students and will help guide discussion and decision making as we look to revamp the health and reproductive curriculum.
As part of the regular process, the board approved the updates to Board Goals. Goal #1 items include new courses to support At-Risk students, purchase of new curriculum, exploring personnel and software support options, MICIP process, focus on the Whole Child, administering STAR assessments, resuming student activities, reviewing online offerings, fully funded HSA accounts, contract clauses to draw in experienced teachers, steady enrollment numbers, building relationships with new athletic booster officers, discussions with parents regarding Covid planning, exploring partnerships with HFAH, Comet Connections Day, upcoming MiPHY Survey, and the Cascades Conference Leadership Conference. Goal #2 items include the near completion of Bid Package 1 and the first phase of Bid Package 2, the purchase of additional devices with the John George grant, receiving devices through Consumers Energy, exploring options for lowering employee costs through Jackson County Healthcare Consortium, and the installation of energy efficient devices/equipment throughout the district.
The second reading of NEOLA Vol. 35, No. 2 – February 2021 policy updates was approved.
The board approved the annual Summer Tax Resolution, allowing us to collect our portion of summer taxes.
The board approved raising the daily substitute teacher pay rate to $115.00, in order to be more in line with what other districts in the county are paying.
Superintendent Denney reported to the board members on the following:
- The district has received several applications for the school nurse position, which should be filled in the next couple weeks. A huge thank you to Jacquie Melling for everything she has done for our district.
- Thank you to the building principals for all they do.
- It was good to see students being able to have a sense of normalcy with the Homecoming activities.
The board members commented on the following:
- Thank you to all the principals for their hard work.
- Thank you to Supt. Denney for the continued work he does to monitor Covid conditions and numbers in the district.
- Homecoming was fun!
- We need to monitor sub pay rates throughout the county.
- A big thank you to Jacquie Melling; she will be missed.
- The board does a lot of things behind the scenes, and it takes everyone to make things happen.
- There will be discussions during negotiations regarding paid time due to Covid leave.
The board went into closed session at 6:15 p.m. for discussion of upcoming staff contract negotiations.
The open meeting was reconvened at 7:00 p.m.
The regular meeting was adjourned at 7:00 p.m.