The regular meeting was held starting at 6:00 p.m.
The September 2022 meeting minutes and treasurer’s report were approved with no changes.
Miss Sophie Schuette, Student Council President, informed the board of the results of the Homecoming activities and plans for the coming year.
Principals Joe Ayers, Denise Bergstrom, and Isaac Cottrell were recognized in honor of Michigan Principal’s Month.
During the Public Comment portion of the meeting, an elementary teacher informed the board that the elementary will bring back Pancakes With Patriots for Veteran’s Day on November 11th. Heritage Park donated their facilities for this event, and the PTA will help make and serve pancakes. Also, the Jackson District Library Story Walk has been installed around the elementary walking track. Books will be switched out every month. Lastly, the elementary Fall Festival will be held on October 21st.
The board approved the hiring of Mr. Jeff Waltz for the middle/high school Assistant Principal/Athletic Director. Mr. Waltz comes to us from Clinton Community Schools, where he is currently their Athletic Director. His first day at Hanover-Horton will be October 31st.
Mr. Kyle Drake presented the board with the results of the financial audit for the 2021-22 school year, which the board approved. Audit reports are available in the administration office.
Mrs. Tracy Stierle made a presentation to the board regarding the ROX (Ruling our Experiences) program that she will be starting in the elementary building. She has been working with the ISD on ways to implement this program, along with pieces of Michigan Model. This program will focus on helping girls to build self-esteem, manage pressure, communicate effectively, navigate social media, stay safe, become leaders, and plan for the future. It will be the first of its kind in Jackson County. It is hopeful that this program will expand into the middle and high schools in the future.
The board approved the annual Summer Tax Resolution, allowing us to collect the district’s portion of summer taxes from the townships within the district.
The board passed a resolution from County National Bank which will add the Board Treasurer as a signer to the school’s accounts at that bank.
Superintendent Denney reported to the board members on the following:
- Thank you to our administrative team for the phenomenal job they do for our district.
- Thank you to the class advisors and everyone else who made Homecoming a success.
- Fall sports are winding down.
- The power to the middle/high school complex will be shut down on Saturday, Oct. 15th to complete the power upgrades at the high school.
The board members commented on the following:
- Thank you to the principals for all they do.
- The board members are excited about the ROX program being implemented by Mrs. Tracy Stierle.
- Thank you to Supt. Denney for attending the Jackson County School Board meeting this past month. H-H will host the meeting in January.
- The board is happy to see the new Story Walk at the elementary.
- It was great to see so many parents involved in the Pastries with Parents event, and the board is happy that we will be having Pancakes With Patriots for Veteran’s Day.
- It would be nice to be able to open up the school for more parent volunteers.
- The district is lucky to find a great candidate for the Assistant Principal/Athletic Director position.
The regular meeting was adjourned at 7:00 p.m.