The regular meeting was held starting at 5:30 p.m.
The meeting October meeting minutes and treasurer’s report were approved with no changes. One item was added to the agenda under Personnel: Hiring of School Nurse.
It was reported to the board that the High School Student Council is looking at dates for the upcoming Snowfest.
During the Public Comment portion of the meeting, a parent voiced concerns about masking students, another community member addressed the board about controversial social issues and what is being taught in our district, as well as her concern about wanting certain books to be banned from the school library. Another community member thanked the board for making changes last month to the masking/quarantine policy.
The board approved changing the meeting time for all Board of Education meetings in the future to 6:00 p.m.
The board approved a five-year lease agreement with Holland Bus Company. Our current two-year lease will end next summer, but having a new lease in place now will avoid supply issues and anticipated cost increases set to take effect in December.
Two quotes for repairing/upgrading the electronic sign at the elementary were presented to the board. The board tabled the motion until the next meeting in December, in order to get pricing for upgrading the electronic sign at the middle/high school as well.
The board approved the appointment of Mrs. Melissa Duffrin to the position of Elementary Assistant Principal. Mrs. Duffrin will continue to run all of our grant programs (Title I and At-Risk), act as homeless coordinator, oversee the RTI staff, and sit in on grade level/curriculum meetings, as well as offer support to the Principal. The district will hire a temporary teacher to replace her in working with students in the RTI role.
The board approved the hiring of Mrs. Erin Darnell as school nurse, to replace Jacquie Melling, who will be leaving the district on November 19th. Mrs. Darnell is a registered nurse with 22 years of pediatric experience, and is currently employed as a school nurse for the Lansing School District.
Superintendent Denney reported to the board members on the following:
- While we are sad to see that Jacquie Melling is leaving the district, we are excited to have Erin Darnell join us as school nurse.
- Congratulations to the cross country team. Sophie Reynolds qualified for the state meet as an individual, and Rogan Melling placed 7th overall.
- The new gym is ready except for the curing of the floor and the pads and curtains being installed. Practices will start November 15th.
- Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
The board members commented on the following:
- The public comment tonight was appreciated.
- Welcome to Melissa Duffrin in her new role as Elementary Assistant Principal.
- We are thankful for having Jacquie Melling as school nurse as long as we have.
- Hanover-Horton will host a meeting of the Jackson County School Board and will highlight a program to share with the other member schools. Looking for ideas.
The board went into closed session at 6:40 p.m. for the Superintendent’s evaluation.
The open meeting was reconvened at 9:28 p.m., and the Superintendent’s evaluation score was accepted.
The regular meeting was adjourned at 9:30 p.m.