Due to Governor Whitmer’s Executive Order 2020-77 prohibiting all public gatherings of any number of people until after May 28, 2020, this meeting was held electronically on May 18, 2020 at 6:30 p.m.
During the Public Comment portion of the meeting, a community member questioned whether a civil rights complaint had been filed against the district. President Schuette confirmed that there was a complaint filed, but the board would not comment on it.
The board approved the JCISD Resolution in Approval of the JCISD Preliminary Budget for the 2020-21 school year.
The tentative school year calendar for 2020-21 was approved by the board.
The board approved a NEOLA resolution to grant emergency powers to the superintendent due to the signing of Governor Whitmer’s Executive Order 2020-5.
The board approved a NEOLA resolution to grant emergency powers to the superintendent due to the signing of Governor Whitmer’s Executive Order 2020-35 and 2020-65.
The board approved second year probationary status for Stephanie Clement, Kayla Cotter, Melissa Bulgrien, Linzey Cytlak, and Emily Schock; third year probationary status for Amber Bushinski, Benji Cates, Amber Solomon, and Megan Thurston; fourth year probationary status for Lindsay Pond and Krista Scharpenberg; and tenure for Chris VanEpps.
The board accepted, with deep regret, the retirement of Mrs. Kathy Salow, effective June 30, 2020. She will be missed.
The hiring of Mr. Jontaj Wallace II as the district’s new music director was approved by the board. Mr. Wallace will replace Mr. Gary Rouster upon his retirement.
Superintendent Denney reported to the board members on the following:
- Thank you to the staff for all the hard work they have done to provide a Continuity of Learning plan.
- Thank you to the transportation department for delivering packets to students at their homes.
- Thank you to the Frosty King, who donated teacher appreciation gift certificates.
- Prom is tentatively scheduled for July 18th, and graduation for August 7th.
- The state held a revenue estimating conference last week, but it is premature to start a projection of where the budget will be for next year. We will plan for the fall and move forward from there.
- The gymnasium addition and parking lot projects are out for bid now. After the bids come back, we will be better able to tell what other projects will come out of the sinking fund.
- Welcome to Mr. Wallace.
- We will miss our retirees.
The Board of Education members commented on the following:
- Thank you to the staff for putting together lesson plans and packets for students.
- Thank you to Superintendent Denney for keeping abreast of the constant changes due to COVID-19.
- We still have a lot of good things happening in our district, even when we’re closed. Our staff has gone above and beyond to serve our students.
- Congratulations to the Class of 2020.
- We are disappointed that the winter and spring sports seasons ended the way they did.
- Thank you to Mrs. Salow and all the retirees for your years of service to our district.
- Welcome to Mr. Wallace.
- Schuette will step down from his position as school board president if he is elected as Jackson County Sheriff.
Meeting was adjourned at 7:32 p.m.