The regular meeting was held starting at 6:00 p.m.
Sophie Schuette, Student Council President, informed the board of Student Council activities and plans for an assembly at the end of April to support our spring sports teams.
The February 2023 meeting minutes and treasurer’s report and the March agenda were approved with no changes.
During the Public Comment portion of the meeting, a parent addressed the board about a lack of communication from the board, administration, and teachers.
The board approved the audit services proposal from Willis & Jurasek P.C. to perform the school district’s annual audit. We had received word earlier in the year that our long-time auditor, Drake CPAs, were no longer doing school audits.
The board approved the Sauder Village field trip for fifth graders, to take place in June 2023.
Supt. Denney updated the board on the progress made toward the board goals:
Goal #1A – Expanding after school options; mid-year growth assessments, data review; staff participation in county-wide PD day.
Goal #1B – Mid-year growth assessments, data review; school improvement meetings
Goal #1C – Reinstating big class field trips; HS scheduling process; Night Lights program at the elementary; curriculum reviews
Goal #1D – Online, TV, and radio marketing; working with bargaining units to resolve minor issues
Goal #1E – Moving forward with the Strategic Planning process; partnering with PTA for cancer fundraiser
Goal #1F – Host for county-wide Wellness Committees; Comet Connections Days at the MS/HS; MS ski trip
Goal 2A – Heat is working well, some programming needs to be done with HVAC; seeking bids for parking lots and track; secured grant to build new entryway to Superintendent’s office area
Goal #2B – Working with JCISD to compile technology needs, both long and short term; do not anticipate significant technology purchases this summer
Goal #2C – Continuing discussions with other districts about possibilities in purchasing or sharing services
Superintendent Denney reported to the board members on the following:
- Postcards will be mailed for Y5/Kindergarten Round-Up reminder
- Our last winter team finished up their season with the boys basketball district final last week. The girls basketball team won the district, and we had four all-state wrestlers
- Spring sports are up and running
- Thank you to all the volunteers who help during the sports seasons
- Prom will be on May 13th and graduation on May 26th
The board members commented on the following:
- Board members have been attending school activities, such as basketball, yoga classes, mother/son dodgeball, field trips to the sugar shack, and March is Reading Month
- There have been changes in secretarial positions and everyone seems happy with the changes
- The board appreciates Sophie Schuette’s Student Council reports
- A representative from MASB will be here next month to start the Strategic Planning process
- Board members are aware of certain issues when they come up, but are limited on what they can say
- Board members appreciate teachers, support staff, and administration
The regular meeting was adjourned at 7:00 p.m.