A special meeting was held at 6:00 p.m. for the budget hearing for the 2020-21 school year.
The regular meeting was held starting at 6:30 p.m.
The date for the July organizational board meeting will be July 20th at 6:30 p.m., either electronically, or in the Library Media Center.
The board approved the current contracted mental health services for another year, with another review of the services in June 2021. This includes the services of high school counselor Mrs. Vicki Iseler and elementary social worker, Ms. Kaylyn Hoy.
The Music Boosters officers for 2020-21 were approved. The officers are: President – Kelly McLain; Vice President – Shellie Felde; Secretary – Amie Schittenhelm; Treasurer – Jamie Potts.
A Debt Transfer resolution was approved by the board in order for excess funds in the 2009 Refunding Bond debt (Debt 5), which has been paid off, to be transferred to the 2019 School Building and Site Bond (Debt 8).
The 2020 Tax Rate Request was approved by the board. This is the millage request report that goes to the county and township treasurers and clerks annually.
The 2019-20 amended budget was reviewed at the budget hearing prior to the regular meeting. The amended budget was presented at the regular meeting and approved by the board.
The 2020-21 preliminary budget was reviewed at the budget hearing prior to the regular meeting. The preliminary budget was presented at the regular meeting and approved by the board.
The board adopted a Resolution Authorizing Issuance of Notes in Anticipation of the State School Aid Note for the 2020-21 school year.
Superintendent Denney presented the bond project contract recommendations to the board. The recommendations were provided by our construction management firm, Moore Trosper, and were made after post-bid interviews of the lowest and next to lowest bidders for the work necessary to build the new gym and connecting corridor and fully equipping both, the site work and paving for the main parking areas, and all of the furnishings/finishes/equipment.
The hiring of Mrs. Madeleine Berry was approved by the board for the high school special education teacher position that is open due to the retirement of Mrs. Nancy Smith.
Superintendent Denney reported to the board members on the following:
- Thank you to teachers, support staff, administration, coaches, parents, and the community as we’ve worked through to finish the school year under extreme circumstances during the COVID-19 shutdown. A committee has been formed comprised of teachers from each building, administration, and parents to review the Continuation of Learning Plan that was put in place by the district this spring.
- There will be a lot of time dedicated at the superintendents’ meetings as to a plan for this fall once the governor’s guidelines are out, to make sure we are ready for school starting in August.
- A virtual senior honors night will be held on Thursday, June 18th.
- It has been determined that graduation on August 7th would not be feasible, as anywhere from 8-15 seniors may not be able to attend at that point. A survey has been sent to seniors and their parents with options for dates and types of ceremonies that could take place, depending on the governor’s orders. Planning for graduation will take place in the next few days after receiving the survey results.
- Best of luck to the Class of 2020.
- Alan Breneman was able to secure a grant called Farmers to Families where boxes of fresh vegetables, fruits, and dairy products can be distributed to anyone who wants them. They are being handed out with the regular Tuesday and Friday breakfast and lunches now being provided.
- Athletic practices have started this week with social distancing and health checks for all coaches and participating athletes. No one is allowed to enter the building until Michigan is in phase 5 of the reopening.
- There will be no “dead week” for sports this summer; the custodians have gotten the gyms prepared early so they will be ready when students can again enter the buildings.
The board members commented on the following:
- Congratulations to the Class of 2020. The board is looking forward to graduation.
- The board will be interested in community feedback as to how the Continuation of Learning Plan went.
- Welcome to our new special education teacher, Mrs. Berry
- Special thanks to teachers, staff, and community for all their efforts to end the school year.
- The board appreciates Mr. Densmore’s knowledge of the history of district projects.
- Thank you to Mr. Blackledge for running the board meeting in the absence of Mr. Schuette.
Meeting was adjourned at 7:25 p.m.