Superintendent Denney and the Board of Education were happy to honor the Junior Medal of Honor recipients for January.
The high school student council has been busy preparing for Snowfest. This year’s theme is “Around the World.” The He-Man Volleyball game took place Monday night, and hall decorating will be Tuesday after school. There will be a Snowfest assembly on Friday, with crowning of the king and queen at half time of the basketball game, and his year’s Snowfest dance will be a semi-formal/formal dance on Saturday evening.
There were no public comments.
The 7th grade Mackinac trip was approved. The girls’ trip will be May 13th & 14th, and the boys’ trip will be May 14th & 15th.
Mr. Gary Rouster, music director, showed a short Disney-produced video of the band’s Disney trip last November, which featured the Comet Marching band playing background music to a Moana clip. He also gave a brief overview of the trip.
The board accepted, with deep regret, the resignation of Mr. Rouster, effective at the end of this school year.
The lease on eight school buses will be expiring at the end of this this school year. The board approved a new two-year lease for eight buses with the Holland Bus Company, for an amount not to exceed $131,712 per year.
The board approved a partnership with Mrs. Vicki Iseler of TruNorth Counseling to provide additional counseling services at the middle school and high school. Mrs. Iseler will be starting as soon as final details are worked out.
Superintendent Denney reported to the board members on the following:
- March is Reading Month activities will be gearing up soon at the elementary. It’s a lot of fun to go into classrooms and read to the kids; everyone is encouraged to do so.
- Good luck to the girls’ bowling team on Tuesday; they have a chance to win their first-ever conference championship.
- The wrestling team finished in second place in the conference. Three wrestlers qualified for the regional meet.
- Preliminary prints have been received for the new auxiliary gym, and things are moving forward. There should be a lot of activity in the summer with the building of the gym, air conditioning of all the buildings, and parking lot renovations.
- Thank you to the board for all they do.
The Board of Education members commented on the following:
- The board is happy to be able to provide additional counseling services for the middle and high schools.
- Sign-up for March is Reading Month can be done online.
- Evans is now Secretary/Treasurer of the Jackson County Association of School Boards, and he can get our district on their calendar if there are any programs or events happening that we would like to highlight and show to other districts.
Meeting was adjourned at 7:35 p.m.