The regular meeting was held starting at 5:30 p.m.
The agenda was amended to add an attorney/client negotiation discussion during the closed session portion of the meeting.
During the public comment portion of the meeting, a community member addressed the board in support of Matt Resor and encouraged the board to consider having Matt return to his job.
The board adopted an Emergency Operations Plan for the district, which Michigan law requires school districts to adopt by January 1, 2020. This plan needed to be in place in order to qualify for the Michigan State Police Safety Grant last year. It was created following a template which was adjusted to fit our needs, in close collaboration with the Jackson County Sheriff’s Department and the Jackson County Office of Emergency Management and Homeland Security.
The board approved the first reading of NEOLA policies: Special Update – October 2019 regarding Prohibition of Referral or Assistance and Reproductive Health and Family Planning; Vol 34, No. 1 – Tobacco Policies; and Vol. 34, No. 2 – School Administrator Evaluation.
The board approved the second reading of NEOLA policies 3122.01 and 4122.01, Drug Free Workplace, to change the phrase “district-related” to “district-sponsored.”
Last summer, the district received a request for readmission by an expelled student. A committee met in August and informed the student that they did not feel the student was ready to return and advised the student to resubmit their application this month for reconsideration. The board approved the committee’s recommendation to deny the request for readmission of the student, after reviewing academic and behavior records.
The board approved the Michigan Municipal Finance Qualifying Statement, which is filed annually with the Michigan Department of Treasury.
Superintendent Denney reported to the board members on the following:
- It’s hard to believe that this week marks the end of the first semester. Thank you to staff who work hard for our students.
- Special thanks to Mr. Densmore and Mr. Evans for their help with the teacher and support staff negotiations.
- The middle and high school band and choir concert is tonight.
- Happy Holidays to everyone!
The board members commented on the following:
- The board members expressed appreciation of the staff and students.
- Mr. Schuette was impressed with the senior portfolio presentations he sat in on. The students were well-prepared and their presentations were fantastic. The teachers have done an excellent job.
The board went into closed session at 5:53 p.m. to discuss the negotiations with the bargaining groups, as well as attorney/client negotiations. The board approved the proposed contract with the Hanover-Horton Educational Support Personnel Association.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:58 p.m.