The regular meeting was held starting at 6:00 p.m.
The November 2022 meeting minutes and December agenda and treasurer’s report were approved with no changes.
Sophie Schuette, Student Council President, informed the board of the upcoming plans for Snowfest activities. Snowfest will be on Friday, February 3, 2023.
Awards were presented to fall athletes.
During the Public Comment portion of the meeting, a volleyball parent expressed to the board her approval of the varsity volleyball coach. She thought the season went very well and appreciated how many opportunities were given to the team this past season. She also questioned why there were no volleyball certificates handed out. Also, a former H-H elementary teacher thanked Diane Anderson and Joe Childs, who were attending their last meeting as board members, for their support and dedication over the years.
The board approved the second reading of NEOLA policy updates, Vol. 37, No. 1 – September 2022.
Mrs. Bergstrom shared the results with the board of the Middle School Minute Meetings that were conducted by herself and Mrs. Davis-Green. These are short face-to-face meetings with each 6th and 7th grade student who were asked questions from a wide range of topics in order to help improve the climate of the building.
Superintendent Denney informed the board of the progress being made by the ISD technology team to protect the servers in the future from any further attacks. The JCISD board will approve a major step in their protection efforts at their December meeting. This will result in a significant cost to districts in the consortium for the increased security, which will be shared on a per-pupil basis, as well as a cost for every device managed by the JCISD.
Superintendent Denney shared with the board that there will be an upcoming millage proposal in May 2023 for the JCISD Special Education Millage Renewal. This would be a renewal of the current millage which would raise over $8,000,000 for the county and would provide our district with an estimated $311,627 for the 2022-23 school year.
Superintendent Denney reported to the board members on the following:
- PowerSchool will not be available for the next two days, as it is being converted to iCloud. Technology issues should be back to normal after Christmas break.
- Fourth graders at H-H Elementary were selected to participate in a Christmas tree ornament project in Washington D.C.
- A special thank you to Joe Childs and Diane Anderson for serving on the school board.
- Sorry for missing the athletic awards for the volleyball team. We did not catch them on the updated list.
- Merry Christmas to all!
The board members commented on the following:
- The board appreciated Mrs. Bergstrom and Mrs. Davis-Green taking the time to meet with 6th and 7th graders, and are glad to hear they will also be meeting with 8th graders in the near future.
- Congratulations to the fall athletes who received awards tonight and apologies for the volleyball awards that were missed. They will be made up next month.
- Joe Childs and Diane Anderson expressed their thanks to fellow board members, staff, and community for their support during their time on the board.
The regular meeting was adjourned at 7:00 p.m.