The regular meeting was held starting at 6:30 p.m.
The board received a thank you note for the Ruth Creps Scholarship from a 2020 graduate.
The meeting agenda, July meeting minutes, and treasurer’s report were approved with no changes. The board noted an additional handout for the Student Handbook Update agenda item.
During the Public Comment portion of the meeting, an elementary teacher voiced her concern about the wording on the elementary report cards regarding “promoting” or “placing” a student in the next grade level. This wording has already been changed with this month’s student handbook updates.
The board approved updates to the elementary, middle school, and high school Student Handbooks for 2021-2022. There were no changes made to the Athletic Handbook.
The board approved the changes to the administrative contracts, which were ready for final approval after working with counsel to make the contracts more consistent and uniform throughout.
Superintendent Denney reported to the board members on the following:
- Condolences to the family of Karen Abbott, long time former teacher and coach at Hanover-Horton.
- Thank you to the board for the work they put in to update the administrative contracts.
- Supt. Denney shared with the board the current legal requirements and public health recommendations for schools with regard to Covid.
- The construction project is coming along. The air conditioning at the elementary should be finished soon. The transformer for the middle/high school electrical upgrades was delivered today. The high school hallway flooring, plumbing repairs, and painting of the new gym should be done next week. The concrete in the new gym is still registering 99% humidity, and flooring can’t be installed until the humidity level is at 85% or lower.
- We will be looking into borrowing a low-interest loan against the sinking fund to complete the air conditioning in the gyms and cafeterias, resurface the track, repair parking lots and expand the parking lots at the elementary, and replace counters and partitions in bathrooms.
- Unity Horton will be distributing drive-through school supplies.
- The new Athletic Booster board is looking for volunteers.
The board members commented on the following:
- The board was very sorry to hear of the losses of Karen Abbott and Denise Powell. They will be very missed.
- Thank you to teachers and staff for the preparation work being done for students returning to school.
- Special thanks to Chris Blackledge and Kristin Flick for the extra work they put in on the changes to administrative contracts.
- The air conditioning needs to be functioning at the elementary on the first day of school.
- We want to make sure we have hard bids on any upcoming projects.
- Continue to encourage extra cleaning, handwashing.
- Thank you to everyone attending the meeting tonight. We would like to have more people attend.
The regular meeting was adjourned at 7:30 p.m.