The regular meeting was held starting at 6:00 p.m.
Sophie Schuette, Student Council President, informed the board of Student Council activities, including plans for the upcoming election of new members.
The March 2023 meeting minutes and treasurer’s report and the revised April agenda were approved with no changes.
There was no public comment from attendees.
Superintendent Denney explained the current status of the district’s COVID grants, as requested by the board at the last meeting.
A representative from the Michigan Association of School Boards, Debbie Stair, presented to the board the benefits of Strategic Planning to determine what our district wants to be at some point in the future, and how the MASB can help our district meet those goals. The board approved the strategic planning process, which will begin next school year. Eventually, input will come from administration, teachers, staff, students, and community members.
Tenure/probationary recommendations for the 2023-24 school year for 13 current teachers were approved by the board.
The board approved contract extensions for the superintendent to 2027; other administrators to 2025; and supervisors to 2024.
Superintendent Denney reported to the board members on the following:
- Thank you to elementary staff for all they do to make March is Reading Month successful. Elementary students exceeded their reading goal, and as a result, were serenaded by Mr. Ayers at the closing assembly.
- Prices for parking lot repairs have doubled. Bids will be brought to the board next month.
- Excavators will be at the middle/high school shortly to finalize excavation out front.
- The Y5/Kindergarten Round-Up Parent Meeting is tomorrow (Tuesday, April 11th).
- The millage election is coming up on May 2nd. Postcards will be mailed out to residents soon. Both the Hanover-Horton millage election and the ISD election is important to our district. Questions can be directed to the superintendent.
- We are working with AOS to include a live informational feed on our website and to refresh our entire website before the school year starts next year.
The board members commented on the following:
- Board members are looking forward to starting the strategic planning process for the district. Thank you to Debbie Stair for her presentation.
- Thank you to the elementary staff for planning and carrying out March is Reading Month activities.
- The board appreciates the information given by Mr. Denney explaining more about the operating millage election.
- Residents who have already voted absentee can get their ballots back from the township before election day if they change their mind on how they voted.
- Despite the highs and lows of the past, the board is confident that they do their best for students in the district.
The regular meeting was adjourned at 7:24 p.m.